Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Shame, Shame, Shame On Bravo And Reza Farahan

Reza Farahan.  What can one say about this man which would be positive?  I normally try to find at least something redeeming about a person.  Yet with Reza, I struggle and so far have been unsuccessful in that endeavor.  I felt compelled by my conscious to sit down and write a blog.  I am not crazy enough to think this blog will change anything with the exception of getting out my feelings and hopefully find a few other like minded people who feel the same.

Last season we saw Reza speaking on behalf of the gay community.  The fact his opinions are ignorant, intolerant and full of self loathing seems to escape Reza.  What really gets me worked up is Reza's ego.  The head may be empty but his ego is chock full.  When he said monogamy isn't something gays really believe in, I went nuts.  It smacked of self-loathing feelings and I even wrote a blog about it.  This season, the ass we call Reza has taken his egocentric, self-loathing, intolerant behaviors to a whole different level.

This season we see Reza trying to fix his fucked up image.  Moving in with a man, whom just last season he confessed to cheating on.  This season we see Reza keeping his mouth shut more often than opening it, which would be a good thing but somehow he cannot even manage that simple task.  When Sasha, another gay, Iranian man is invited over to Reza's and Adam's apartment we see the Reza I always knew was there, lurking underneath his greasy, overstuffed appearance.

Lets be upfront and honest.  Sasha is very flamboyant and effeminate.  My question is so?  Who cares how another person acts, right?  Well, its simple.  When you hate yourself to the point of loathing, like Reza, anyone around you who attracts attention, especially supposed, negative attention, they are reviled.  Hence the reaction Reza gives.  He talks about dignity because Sasha is Persian, which unto itself shows just how deep and on so many levels Reza hates himself.  There hasn't been a Persia since the 1500's.  Really?  Iran Reza, you come from Iran, which means your Iranian.  While there is a stigma for anyone who comes from the middle east, once again, we see Reza be ashamed of his birth place.  I personally could care less if a person comes from Iran, Syria or Russia.  Treat me right and we can be friends.  Reza's stance with Sasha is that Sasha doesn't act in a dignified way and shows Persian's in an unflattering light.  Was it not last season where Reza was running around on his boyfriend and talks at length about "sniffing the armpits of twinks?"  Really Reza?  So sniffing the armpits of barely legal young men is dignified but acting effeminate isn't?  Is that your issue?

What Reza should have said is, "your flamboyant behavior makes me uncomfortable because I believe being gay is wrong and so I hate myself and you."  That is what he should have said, if he were to come anywhere close to being honest.  Instead we see the foot on the couch used as subterfuge.  When Sasha dares to defy Reza and stand his ground and call him out on his behavior we see Reza shift from anger into hatred.

When Reza used the derogatory term FOB (Fresh Off the Boat) it was very telling, for me at least.  It smacks of elitism, condescension and racial/ethnic superiority.  We see blacks in this country do it.  Based on skin color, lighter colored blacks are "less black" than darker complected blacks.  Jews do it based on level of religious observance.  Needless to say, I got it.  I got where Reza was going with that comment.  Its a term that is offensive and designed to do nothing other than insult and degrade another.  No surprise it came out of Reza's mouth not once but at least half a dozen times.

Next we see Reza at a club.  Which he thinks is beneath him.  His elitism knows no bounds.  While at the club, Reza see's Sasha.  Sasha is happily having a good time with friends.  This just sets Reza on point.  He is pissed because Sasha isn't trapped in the closet being beaten down with self inflicted self hatred like he is.  Simple.  Sasha acts, speaks, moves in ways Reza has either been taught or interpreted as being "un-manly" and therefore, bad, wrong.

A verbal altercation ensues.   What new depth of intolerance and ugly can Reza use to hurt this man?  Why call Sasha's brother a "Faggot" is where Reza decides to go.  Everyone, and I mean everyone present was shocked.  I could say Bravo was good and blanked out the subtitle, but really?  We all didn't hear the word?  Shame on you Bravo.  Shame.

I could go into all the subtleties of self-loathing, sexual orientation and even the nature versus nurture which would shed some light on the why's of what Reza does, but I don't care.  This man has been in this country long enough, has enough education and travels in a circle tolerant enough to know better.  The word faggot uttered from a man who has given interviews to such media outlets as the Huffington Post saying he joined the cast of Shahs to portray gays in a positive light and to educate, infuriates me.  I don't know who the hell this man thinks he is but for two seasons now he has done nothing but offend, degrade and act in ways which confirm what is already believed by those who think homosexuality is wrong.

Another question begs to be asked.  Where the hell are the gay organizations on this issue.  Let a heterosexual utter the word Faggot and GLAD and other organizations would be all over someone.  So if a gay man uses it, it is therefore okay?  I don't get it.  The fact a gay man said it, Andy Cohen/Bravo (who is openly gay on a network known to be gay friendly) have said nothing leaves me cold.

The gay community will jump on a private organization, like the Boy Scouts of America, for simply not wanting homosexuals in their organization but Reza can run around on a national, world wide platform uttering offensive, degrading and orientation slurs and its a okay?  To me that would be defined as HYPOCRISY in its most purest form.

I believe Reza should not come back next season.  I think those organizations such as GLAD (Gay Lesbian Anti-defamation League) should be holding Reza, Bravo accountable for what is aired on Bravo.  Advertisers should be written, demanding changes and accountability by Bravo or withdrawing their sponsorship of the show and Bravo if changes are not made.  I believe all my fellow gay brothers and lesbian sisters should be outraged and demanding changes.  I realize Andy, I am a media whore, Cohen loves to shock people with outrageous behavior but Reza and his behavior is not shocking its offensive.  A huge difference and for me, intolerable.

Someone must have whispered something into the chunky ass we call Reza because he is seated in front of a therapist and has several well scripted conversations with other cast mates about his "battling the pain" he has had to endure being gay and Persian.  Bullshit.  Bullshit.   Bullshit.  This is nothing other than damage/spin control.  Again, another huge let down and my level of disgust has reached the point where my gag reflex is kicking in.

Being provocative is one thing, pushing the envelope is another, but to use ugly, offensive and insensitive material on shows to garner ratings is pandering at a level which opens the door to allowing other offensive remarks to be used again other communities.  Whats next for Bravo?  Kenya calling Porscha a nigger?  I bet a million dollars that would never fly, but who knows lately with Bravo?

No comments:

Post a Comment