Thursday, July 31, 2014

In The Middle of The Middle East

I have waited and hoped I would not have to take a pen and comment on what has been happening in Israel/Gaza Strip.  I was hoping cooler minds would prevail and some sort of cease-fire could be negotiated.  Alas, as of the writing of this blog, the carnage continues.

As most of you already know, I am the living antithesis of what Adolf Hilter stood for.  I am a card carry, Yarmulke wearing homosexual Jew.  Dang if that isn't a mouth full.  Anyhow, suffice to say I am Jewish and Gay but I will try to be fair in this blog.

I am the grandson of a survivor of the holocaust.  I spent time in my teens in Israel working on a Kibbutz.  I have many friends in Israel.  I also have friends in the West Bank and in Gaza, both Palestinian and not.

This is what I know about the current situation in Israel.  Hamas is a terrorist organization which terrorizes its own people they claim to represent.  They do not acknowledge the legitimacy of Israel and have vowed to bring about its destruction.   I also know, first hand, how they attack innocent civilians within Israel's borders.  They use terror as a weapon.  They have sent over 2,600 bombs into Israel since July 8, 2014.  They are not targeting military bases but rather civilians.

I also know, if the bombs stopped coming from the Gaza Strip into Israel, I know the government in Israel would be under immense pressure to stop the current campaign in the Gaza Strip.  I also believe Israel is not the instigator nor wanting innocent Palestinians to die.

With all of that said, the bombs continue to fall, people are dying...on both sides.  I do not propose to know how to end the conflict, but I do know the average Joe and Jane on the streets of Israel and within Gaza and the West Bank, want peace.  There needs to be a Palestine for the Palestinians.  They need to be able to live free and govern themselves and stop living in a constant state of war.  Hatred needs to be bred out of both Israeli's and Palestinians.

The world is upset with Israel.  There are civilians dying in Gaza.  Schools are being hit.  Children are seeing nothing but death and destruction.  It is ugly with a capital U.  So I asked the question, "What does the world want from Israel?"  I keep hearing, "they should stop."  I don't think it is that easy.  Three buildings in NYC and DC were bombed 13 years ago and we are still at war.  So when is Israel going to be given the same consideration?  I keep telling people, what bothers you more, the fact that Israel is defending itself or that it is much more effective than Hamas?

I really think if Israel operated on the same scale as Hamas, the world would look away.  For some reason, when Hamas starts a conflict and Israel comes in and effectively slams Hamas back into dark alley's and back rooms its a problem.

I ask you to ponder the question I asked above.  Is what bothers most people the fact Israel is defending itself or the fact it does it so well?  I found the 9/11 attacks to be a warning.  A warning that war was coming home to America.  America were most have lived in complete and utter ignorance of what most of the globe has had to live and deal with for centuries.  I also found most people's reaction to the the 9/11 attacks funny.  Take a moment and remember how frightened you were on that day.  Remember the turmoil and confusion following the attacks.  Now...think that Israeli's and Palestinians have been living like that and worse for decades.

In 1982 I was in Israel when the war with Lebanon began.  The "Peace For Galilee" war it was called.  The Kibbutz I was on is called Misgav Am.  You cannot really get any closer to Lebanon without being in it..hehe.  Anyhow, the war started.  There were times, especially at night we could hear the distant  sounds of bombs and even machine gun fire.  For me, a teen from a small town in New England, that was big shit.  I was terrified most of the time.  Eventually, I did learn to go on but never completely.  The gnawing fear and stress never really leaves you.  I understand a little of what life is like for most Israeli's and Palestinians.

The humanitarian in me hates to see anyone suffer, Jew, Palestinian or Ukrainians.  I want peace for my fellow Israeli's.  I want to be able to visit my Palestinian friends freely and I want them to be able to come to visit me.  I don't want to have to send money and care packages because certain things are unobtainable.  I want peace.

I admire the Israeli's.  They have created a county, a homeland for themselves.  Their level of living is almost the same as here in the United States of America.  They do not attack but rather respond to the constant attacks they endure.  The almost constant attacks of bombs strapped to people.  Bus bombings, kidnappings and other outrageous atrocities.  It happens all to frequently.  We never hear of Israel going into Gaza or the West Bank and kidnapping people.  To date I have never heard of an Israeli strapping a bomb to themselves and walking into a Gaza market.  It just doesn't happen.  We hear of Israel responding to attacks from Hamas and other splinter groups.

I ask you to think a moment back to 9/11.  Remember not feeling secure, scared and confused.  How many felt about the loved ones they lost on that day and the many lost since we went to war with Iraq and Afghanistan.  With those feelings still fresh, try to place yourself in the position of the Israeli's.  Do you still feel the same way?  Do you still think Israel is being harsh on Hamas?

I stand firmly behind Israel.  I believe they are guided by a moral compass Hamas and the others lack.  I believe many Palestinians could and want to live in PEACE with Israel.  I believe they deserve a country of their own.  I long to see the day where the Gaza Strip is an open port and is flourishing.  I long for the day I do not have to hear the fears of my Israeli friends as they send their children off to yet another conflict with the Palestinians.  The only question left to ask is, will I live to see Peace in the Middle East?

No comments:

Post a Comment